New Strategy – Old Game : Trump Afghan Policy Analysis and History ( Hindu -12th Sept, 2017)
- New Afghan Policy is some thing which started from 2001 from Bush Administrations and being carried forward by Obama and Trump has also focused on not withdrawing of the US military from Afghanistan.
- US emphasized on bigger role for India – Terming this as Regional Strategy
- US has tried to remove Pakistan, didnt mention Iran and China, Russia so it is difficult to accept this as the regional strategy.
- There is no time line fixed for the withdraw – Obama has tried to create the put the time line in 2014 however this has been backfired with Tailban taking the bigger area and strengthening its presence due to in-ability of Afghan Army to counter the terrorist.
- Pressure on Pakistan
- Pakistan has been excluded from the picture and focused to remove the safe heavens from its soil.
- US has always spent huge amount of money on paistan expecting to fight against the war however it never succeeded, which irks US.
- Pakistan is more inclined towards China – OBOR and other financial helps which put pakistan on edge.
- Indian Role in Stability of Afghanistan
- US wants India to Play measure role in Governance, Development, Training of Afghan Cadets, Constructing dams etc.
- Icreasing role of India and Leaving Pakistan will irk Pak which further destablize the relation between Afhgnanistan and Pakistan.
- Russia, China & Pakistan View on New Policy
- Pakistan has rejected the policy and passed resolution in their national assembly about the US move.
- Russian termed this as dead-end policy which is nothing but same as continuation of obama policy and urged for more regional contributions rather then unilateral pull of India.
- China condemned the cutting of Pakistan’s role and asked to take pakistan with US as it has played vital role right from 2001 to till date.
Afghanistan Foreign Minister Visit to India With Respect to New Afghan Policy
( Hindu Article )
Afghan Foreign Minister Visited the India and discussed about new US Policy and further engagements with Afghanistan
- India is already engaging the various projects like creation of parliament, selling 4 helicopter, training afghan military cadets, building roads etc.
- Afganistan is expecting more on construction of Dam,increase regional connectivity for trade, invest in railways, complete chabahar port etc.